During Market hours on Friday – 08.10.2021:
- The Dow (Symbol: DIA) went down 0.03%. The S&P 500 (Symbol: SPY) fell 0.2%. and the Nasdaq (Symbol: QQQ) popped 0.5%.
- Energy — Energy stocks dominated the top performing spots in the S&P 500 as U.S. crude oil prices topped $80 a barrel, the highest since 2014. APA Corp (Symbol: APA) gained 6.8%. Pioneer (Symbol: PXD) and Diamondback (Symbol: FANG) added 4.6%. Hess (Symbol: HES) rose 6.6%. EOG (Symbol: EOG) leapt 5.5%. Marathon Oil (Symbol: MRO) gained 4.6% and Devon Energy (Symbol: DVN) added 3.8%.
- Charter Communications (Symbol: CHTR) — The cable company’s stock fell 4.8% after Wells Fargo downgraded it to underweight from equal weight, due to concerns about slowing cable subscriber growth. Cable One (Symbol: CABO) also lost 2.7% after Wells downgraded it to equal weight from overweight.
- General Motors (Symbol: GM) — Shares of the automaker jumped 3.5% after Credit Suisse reiterated its outperform rating on the stock, saying it has a “compelling case” for multiple expansion after the company’s investor day earlier this week. Shares of Ford (Symbol: F) also were also higher, by 1.8%.
- Oatly (Symbol: OTLY) — Shares of the oat milk maker gained less than 1% intraday, but closed 0.9% lower after JPMorgan upgraded the stock to overweight from neutral. The Wall Street firm said it sees a “favorable risk/reward” for the shares after pulling back nearly 50% from its June peak.
- Sirius XM Holdings (Symbol: SIRI) — The satellite radio company saw shares fall 3.7% after JPMorgan downgraded the stock to neutral from overweight, saying it expects the slowdown in new auto sales to affect new subscriptions. It lowered its December 2022 price target to $7 from $8.
- Moderna (Symbol: MRNA) — The biotechnology and pharmaceutical stock fell 1.4% after Finland, Denmark and Sweden announced they would limit the use of the Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine in young people. The countries made the decision citing concerns around rare cardiovascular side effects.
- Citrix Systems (Symbol: CTXS) — The enterprise software stock continued its descent after Citi downgraded it to neutral from buy, citing the departure of the company’s CEO, announced earlier in the week. It’s unlikely a financial bidder will buy the company and that it will struggle to deliver on its long term targets, analyst Tyler Radke said. Citrix slid 5.7%.
During Premarket hours today (Monday – 11.10.2021):
- Robinhood (Symbol: HOOD) – The trading platform’s stock fell 2.1% in premarket action, following a Securities and Exchange Commission filing that detailed the risks of increased regulation of cryptocurrency trading as well as possible new rules surrounding payment for order flow.
- Merck (Symbol: MRK) – The drugmaker and partner Ridgeback Biotherapeutics announced the submission of an Emergency Use Authorization application to the Food and Drug Administration for their oral Covid-19 treatment molnupiravir. That follows positive study results that were unveiled earlier this month.
- Aspen Technology (Symbol: AZPN) – The industrial software maker announced a deal to merge with two of Emerson Electric’s (EMR) software businesses in a deal worth approximately $11 billion. The cash-and-stock deal is valued at about $160 per share, with Aspen Technology holders receiving $87 per share in cash and 0.42 shares in the combined company for each share they now own. Aspen Technology had been up nearly 13% over the past two sessions since reports of talks between the two companies first surfaced.
- Cleveland-Cliffs (Symbol: CLF) – The steel and iron producer’s shares gained 2.1% in premarket trading after it announced the acquisition of iron scrap processor Ferrous Processing and Trading for about $775 million.
*Any information contained in this article, including any information contained in external third party links, if any, is solely for informational purposes and does not contain, or should not be construed as containing, investment advice or an investment recommendation, or, an offer of or solicitation for any transactions in financial instruments. Past performance does not guarantee or predict future performance. Colmex Pro Ltd does not take into account your personal investment objectives or financial situation and makes no representation, and assumes no liability to the accuracy or completeness of the information provided, nor for any loss arising from any investment based on presented information.